Korean Chicken Hop

So the lightweights of the group decided to do a chicken hop, and sample the plentiful offerings of chicken of various styles and sauces in the neighborhood. I almost jumped out of my pants when I found a Kyochon when walking an alternate route to the Metro stop. I knew there was Kyochon in the states, but never went. There's also Bonchon, but my first taste of Korean Fried Chicken was introduced by my friend Forrest at Mono + Mono in NYC, which was pretty damn good. Now the search was on for something comparable to my recent taste bud experience.

1. Kyochon
PROS: mouthwatering deliciousness; i almost cried. CONS: a bit expensive, some wings were very small, and it took a long time for them to be brought out.
RATING (0-10): 8

First stop, international chain. We opted for the Kyochon Original, which was a honey garlic flavor. Twice fried deliciousness.





 

Next up...

2. Boor Fried Chicken
PROS: Fast, Cheap
CONS: Tastes like fried chicken back home, but not as good, no flavor, and more starch.
RATING: (1-10) 3

Unlike Kyochon, which was a classy chain, this place is no-frills battered fried chicken. There's a restaurant separate from the takeout area. We opted for the takeout area to make a quick taste. We asked for 4 pieces, he almost fried up 4 BOXES. 
side of bag-o-radish

Last stop (we were feeling really fat by now)

3. Oven Day Chicken and Potato ("Every Day Oven Day")
PROS: Fast, Cheap
CONS: Tastes like fried chicken back home, but not as good, no flavor, and more starch.
RATING: (1-10) 6

I was really excited for some good old french fries to go with my roasted chicken, but the fries were covered with some weird sweet powder. what ever happened to salt?? I wasn't satisfied with roast chicken after Kyochon, so my expectations were hard to meet at this point. 

So glad Lydia eats fried chicken now!
Two potato sides: fries with the sweet powder stuff, and potato wedges with some kind of mayo

Verdict? Tabled. I think we need to test a few more out to get a good median going for judging criteria. It's only fair, right?

This place will definitely be on the list, especially with that mascot:
"So hot, I burned his asshole"


0 comments:

Post a Comment