From Bojagi to Model

Bojagi: wrapping cloth
I told myself I'd make more models in Grad school. As of yet, I never really gave myself the time to invest in a quality physical model. Which is why I told myself I couldn't wuss out on the 1/50 sectional model we were "required" to complete for our final review.

For those non-architecture, 1/50 means 1/2 centimeter = 1 meter. Which means, big model.

My project was inspired by the traditional korean dress, the hanbok, as well as the korean quiltwork, jogakbo. Themes included use of crease, seams, and folding to create an envelope that wraps the site. This wrapping was inspired by the bojagi, which koreans use as a utilitarian way to wrap objects for transport, storage, or gift wrapping (sometimes a jogakbo is the bojagi wrapper).

the traditional hanbok
jogakbo = jogak (pieces) + bo (cloth)
bojagi



Here are photos of some process...

folding / creasing a flat plane




 sewing fabric in different jogakbo seams



Older process model, made after midreview


Consulting the digital model




Roof Terrace



0 comments:

Post a Comment