Plugged in on the Seoul Subway

When I first came to Korea, I was so shocked at how everyone is so obsessed with their mobile phones and ipods. I thought America was bad.

Everyone usually has two devices -- cell phone, and ipod. I have never ridden the subway without seeing someone with their phones out, furiously texting, or totally engrossed with korean TV. Most phones used here come with a retractable antenna (this is the 21st century, right?) to catch the signal of free TV. Someone could be watching korean drama, catching up with the stock exchange, or watching a basebal game. 

This is a pretty typical sight when I ride the subway. This photo might not look bad, but image the entire train cabin looks like this. 


These people are practically zombies -- I've seen people board and leave a train without taking their eyes off their phones!

But I do admit, I catch myself whipping out my IPhone as well as pulling out my korean cell phone at the same time to return a text. What am I turning into?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment